Monday, June 7, 2010

Fern Isabel Coppedge

.
I just learned of this American painter, on Antiques Roadshow. I have never heard of her before, but I LOVE her artwork. It is impressionistic, yet primitive, soft yet bold, homey and avant garde at the same time, especially in her day for the paintwork itself but also because the painter was a woman.

Here are some examples.
The Delaware Valley

Hillside Village

New Hope

Mountain Creek

Unlike most of her artist friends, she was a "plein air" artist - painting on location, year around. It has been said that she could be found painting from the back of her car until her fingers were stiff, in the winter. She was part of a group of women painters called the "Pennsylvania Ten" who lived in New Hope, Pa. I hope you enjoy these. If you want to see more, just type in her name in Google or other search engine. I think I found about 80 distinct pictures on line.

No comments: