Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What's your hobby?

.

Hobbies are a wonderful thing. They can actually be good 'mental therapy'! I have several, and one of them is scapbooking. Although I don't think it is as hot as it once was, it still is embedded into lots of folk's lives. Scrapbooking in some form goes back generations. I have a travel scrapbook that my grandmother kept.

President's Day weekend I return to Kansas City, MO for my annual play-date, get-together with girlfriends. We all used to work together and we all scrapbook. Ever since my family moved to Arkansas in 2008, we have done this every President's Day weekend. So - we again did so this year. This is a wonderful way to keep in touch, and get caught up with family news. This year one of our group had been sick and was unable to scrap with us, although she did come for lunch.

We have a couple of little dogs that became parents in December. This is the first time we have raised a litter from beginning to "end". So this is what I decided to scrapbook. I printed off over 300 pictures. And that was probably about half of what I took. Obviously this will take me awhile to finish! I was hoping to find scrap paper with a dog theme, and had 4 sheets on hand. Of course that wasn't going to be enough, but I had to go with what I had. After the weekend was over, don't you know, I found some - a whole package of "dog" paper. Now - to find the time at home to work on it. I ended up spending most of my time sorting out my pictures as the store had printed duplicates even tho't I didn't order any or pay for them! (Need some puppy pictures?)

Besides my puppies, JM worked on their 50th Wedding Anniversary Open House. MJS worked on an album of her daughter's first places she has lived. SH, who couldn't scrap with us this year, did tell us she's been working on her granddaughter's album.

I guess it must be known where I work that I love and do scrapbooking! I work at a library and the director sent me an email asking me if I would like to do a workshop on scrapbooking this summer for the adult summer reading program. WOW! I have never done that before, and I am not a good pre-planner, so this will be interesting. I wish I could do a dry run before I actually do it. There is SO much involved. I did find on the internet, however, ideas for teaching the hobby:
1. Choosing a theme
2. Picking out the background paper, album
3. Presentation of the picture, (matted, behind or in front with a peek-a-boo opening, special presentation like a window, booklet, etc.)
4. Decorations and embellishments
5. Journaling of the picture(s)

There's so much that goes into doing this. Guess I better get crackin'!

No comments: