Thursday, August 27, 2009

Taking Note

--A week ago today was Hawaii's 50th anniversary of becoming a state. I can remember hearing about it when I was a kid. Let's see - we were living in southern Missouri, but if I remember right, we were in NY state at this time that year. Won't tell you how old I was, but a half a century ago is "bad" enough. I did read however that celebrations in Hawaii were going to be low key because not everyone was happy with their royalty being bumped and becoming part of the US. They certainly have a culture quite unlike the mainland states.

--The passing of a person of historical significance: Edward Kennedy. Even tho' I cannot agree with his philosophical views, ethics, and politics, I am sorry to hear of his passing. He is now in eternity and his "fate" is sealed and in God's hands. I would be amiss to at least acknowledge that he definetly had an impact on our country, maybe even moreso because he didn't serve as president. He was able to be in office much longer by being senator then being president.

--Got 10 more boxes unpacked this week!!! (Art supplies) Now I'm getting antsy to do some art work once again. But still have a few more things to do to get everything in place. I also still have other craft room boxes that need unpacking. I need to: "organize, organize, organize!"

--It was nice to get some yard work done this week, a couple of rose bushes and 2 other plants planted. Thank you DM. We have so much shade it's hard to know what you can plant and where. We really don't have a spot that gets sun all day - thus my 3 tomatoe plants are not meeting expectations! It's taking them several weeks to even grow and are just now putting on about 10 tomatoes that are the size of a golf ball and smaller. September is in one week. So my hopes of tomatoes are slim.

--I'm still waiting to hear again from my "long lost friend" CCM. She was getting ready to move. So it may be a month or two before she is back online again. I did locate her on Facebook as well as her older brother. (He hasn't responded either.)

--The place where I work has a foundation associated with it. Our mayor apparently disapproves of how they spend their money. But they don't answer to the city and I guess he's having a fit. Because the mayor is the mayor his correspondence is subject to FOIA. (Freedom of Information Act). So the newspaper is going to publish a letter he wrote the foundation. So we'll see what enfolds.

No comments: