Thursday, August 8, 2013

I've changed, or maybe I should say, work has changed me

I recently talked about being tired all the time and now have a sleep study scheduled - just to follow up on my last posting. I won't bore you with the details. There's probably too many already, following this.

I have noticed a big change in our lifestyle compared to when our kids were growing up and to when my parents were our age. This ended up being a little long, but if you hang in there, maybe you can identify with me.

The phone rings - we always grabbed it, can't miss a call. But then, it was usually a friend or relative. Today it's a salesman, polltaker, or politician running for office. Parents are gone so they don't call, and the kids don't call us very often either. Let the answering machine, excuse me -- the voice mail get it. (even that has changed.) We'll check it later. If the caller ID on the TV is on and it is someone we know, than maybe we'll answer it. but maybe not. I have been known (shhh) to even then, not answer if I'm trying to take a nap. I'll talk to them later.

Speaking of phones, my mom and I would take turns calling each other weekends, as it was long distance. After I married I never lived in the same town as my parents. So it was always long distance. When we didn't call, we wrote letters. Boy has that changed! Now Mom is gone and email has come and almost gone! I hardly even check my email any more because the grown kids hardly ever write. Most of my emails are from businesses. :-( It's easier and "more enhanced" to communicate on Facebook.

I'm tired a lot more than my mother was at my age (till she got ill). But we've already talked about that topic. Won't beat a dead horse, as they say.

We don't socialize or have company hardly at all any more. We never did a lot, but we used to have company over more than we do now. I think some of the reason for that is I went to work full time in 2001. That has impacted a lot of things I used to do, (also, including hobbies). Now I'm looking forward to my own retirement, which I am closer to now, than I am the beginning of this library career. I never got bored being home all the time. When I am again, it will be a lot easier to keep house - or at least I won't have an excuse. (I will say we are more crowded in this house, which doesn't make it easy to keep clean. Too much 'stuff'.)

Our kids don't visit us as often as we did their grandparents. There could be for all kinds of reasons, though - animals, in-laws, personalities and on and on. 'Nuff said there.

We went to church every time the doors were open in the past. Now, my hubby and I do good to get there Sunday mornings and sometimes Sunday nights. That is a HUGE change for us. But there's a lot of factors there, too, that are different. Again - working full time (altho' so did my parents...); different kind of church, and maybe some of just-got-out-of-the-habit! (shame on me!)

I'm an outgoing person for the most part. But as I've gotten older I seem to have changed some. I'm sometimes more content to stay home where it is quiet, no hassle, no stress. I enjoy being with people, particularly friends. Maybe, again, working full time impacts that as well. I'm around people 8 hours a day and don't necessarily feel the compulsion to fill that need after hours. Once I get home, who wants to go out again?

So, just give me a comfortable recliner, a pillow and blanket, and the remote. I'm tired so if I fall asleep, don't wake me up. I'm resting my eyes, but I'm still listening. And, I'll know if you change the channel!

No comments: